Friday, April 20, 2018

{Cue Drums} And my next project is... UGH!



The Formal Living Room!  Well, as formal as we get 'round these parts!  This room was originally supposed to be a dining room.  The room that is used 2 times a year, for the adults to dine in while the noisy children dine in the kitchen.  My problem with that is, I have 4 kids.  When they all get married, that will be 10 adults.  I could not find a table that comfortably fit 10 adults that would fit in this room.  I also kind of like noisy kids.  The dining area in my kitchen can fit everyone.  By moving the couches, we were able to fit nearly 60 people for Thanksgiving a few years ago.  I like the idea of the family eating holiday meals together.  The other problem I had with this room being a dining room, was that this room is right off of the entry.  It's the first room that everyone looks into when they enter the house.  I hate the idea of a large table blocking this {somewhat} beautiful fireplace.  So, it is now the formal living room!  In old pioneer homes, there was quite often a "receiving room" near the entry.  I take every opportunity to tour historic homes.  My husband and kids pretend that they like it, but they really strongly dislike it.  I don't care.  I'm the Mom! ;)  In the homes that have a receiving room, it is always my favorite.  It's well decorated, cozy and has the best furniture in the house.  So... we need to turn this into a receiving room and then make it off limits to anyone who still depends on me for food and clothes!  Here's my plan...

1. Sand down the white paint on the mantle.  That is actually beautiful walnut under the coat of paint.  I don't want to remove all of the paint, but would like spots of the walnut peeking through.  Stain the exposed walnut.
2. Make cable knit and grain sack pillows for the two chairs.
3. Find and refinish a drop leaf table to put between the two chairs.
4. Wreath for antique window.
5. Additional decor for mantle.
6. Artwork for walls.
7. Basket of branches {or blankets, can't decide} by the fireplace.
8. Move lanterns to kitchen dining area and replace with 5 light candle style chandeliers
9. Grandfather clock... this will be down the road a bit.  I can't find exactly what I want so I think I'm going to have to have it built.
10.  I would ultimately love to shiplap this room, but can't seem to get the hubby on board... stay tuned!

Am I missing anything?  One thing you'll learn about me... I am not a happy DIYer!  I love the idea of it.  I look forward to the finished product, but I really detest the work, mess, expense and hiccups that go along with it.  Luckily, you just get to see the before and afters.  My family gets to deal with all that comes in between!  May the odds be ever in their favor!!